Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What I Believe - Temples


Why Mormons Build Temples
The Mormon Channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_-TQivCx8

Something I was told prior to going to a Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the first time was that I would see how the Temple changes people.

So I walked in with those from my ward and as we stood there in the foyer I experienced just what the person told me I would experience, only I hadn't thought it would be so literal, for one of the female ward members that I considered to be harsh and somewhat unpleasant was suddenly like a young girl without a care. She was warm and loving. Another woman I had considered unpleasant in a different way now reminded me of a little girl that is filled with reverent awe and wonder. Each person who had previously rubbed me the wrong way prior to entering the Temple now seemed like entirely different people.

But if the truth be known, I think what really happened wasn't so much that they had changed but that I had been changed and could now see them with eyes that were no longer clouded by hurt feelings and irritation. I could see them with more compassionate and loving eyes, maybe even eyes that were closer to how Christ sees them and each of us.

So, for me, going to the temple can mean learning to recognize the beauty that is in everyone, even ourselves.

The temple also drew me closer to someone I didn't even realize was that important to me. The funny thing about that experience, though, was that the person wasn't even there at the temple. It was simply something that was said that brought the person into my mind like a breath of fresh air.

So a lot of neat things can happen when you go into or near one of the temples. I've even heard of people who aren't of our faith who have had some very blessed experiences in connection to the various Mormon temples.

It's like a little piece of Heaven right here on earth.

This is what I believe.

No comments: