Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What I Believe - 70 X 7


No, I'm not going to be doing math problems today but there is a mathematical way of dealing with those who trespass against us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liaog6-LFpk

I had a lesson in this today when I watched a particular program that brought to mind old wounds from multiple betrayals and personal attacks.

Now, all of this happened a very, very long time ago just as I joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But when I saw that program today, I felt as if I was in the character's place and all of those old hurts came flooding back to my memory fresh and new.  (The actor's performance was very good, by the way.) The memories and feelings this show stirred in me were unpleasant to say the least.

I was told by someone close to me that maybe it was good to be reminded of those things and to get angry about it all over again and that God had wanted me to remember.

As the day progressed I thought about those things and I finally decided to ask Heavenly Father if such things were good and from him and I felt answered immediately. When does God bring about angry, agitated thoughts and feelings?  Whenever God has brought something, even an unpleasant thing, to my attention it gave me a sense of a light bulb moment, a sudden ah-ha and a sense of peace and calm. I wasn't filled with anger. I have always felt protected and better able to cope with various situations whenever I rely upon Heavenly Father's strength in the midst of my weakest moments.

So, as I was trying to decide what I should write about tonight, browsing through The Mormon Channel videos, I came to this one and I knew -- that's the one! I need to remember how much better it feels to be filled with forgiveness than anger,. compassion rather than rage. I need to remember none of us is perfect and that we all make mistakes. (And that just made me giggle as I typed that because I know it's true because of my own mistakes. So many!)

It may feel difficult to forgive others when they do something that hurts us, but if we come unto Heavenly Father with an open, willing heart his love will see us through.

This is what I believe.

No comments: