Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday Faves 59 - Boxes! Boxes! Boxes!


I don't know about you, but I love me some boxes. I don't care what they're made of as long as they look pretty, pirate-y, medieval or just plain ol' play music! And, you know what else? Boxes are fun! Yes. Yes, they are.

You see, I remember playing in boxes when I was a child. My brothers and I, I had three of the varmints, plus two half-brothers! We used to get inside one of those big boxes that a refrigerator came in and we would start pushing against the side until we got it rolling across the yard. We called it our tank.

Then there was my Mother's jewelry box -- Oh! What treasures she had in there! I especially loved her beautiful garnet necklace. It looked so regal. I remember the time that I stowed my favorite rubber green snake in my mother's jewelry box for safe-keeping. It had a safety pin through it because one of us kids -- probably me -- had pulled it apart at some point. Oh, my! You should have heard the screams that night when Mother went to retrieve one of her treasures for a night out with Dad.

Oh, and then there was the beautiful Japanese themed jewelry box that my Dad gave me for Christmas one year. It played 'Fly Me To The Moon'. So many nights I fell asleep to those sweet little tones.

Ah, yes. Those were the days, and boxes were always there to make memories in and to hold them, too.

To get us started on our shop hopping today, here's one of the latest in technology, a completely digital music box playing the theme to Elfen Lied - Lilium, a Japanese Anime program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfUaUZ3vqY&feature=related

Now let's go shopping!

Box Shop 1
Shop name: Cee Cee Designs
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ceeceedesigns?ref=seller_info

This lovely little number is a box that you can wear! A wearable music box! How clever and lovely!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/101210789/lullaby-working-music-box-necklace

Box Shop 2
Shop name: Todd Manring Designs
http://www.etsy.com/shop/toddmanring?ref=seller_info_count

I love reclaimed wood and this box made from reclaimed wood is really has a great rustic look to it.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86199271/jewelry-box

Box Shop 3
Shop name: jvictoria
http://www.etsy.com/shop/jvictoria?ref=seller_info

And boxes can even hold our lunches -- not to mention a lot of fun memories from those school days! I remember the one that I had that looked just like this one. Small red plaid, not large. Perfect!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68250621/vintage-aladdin-industries-plaid

Box Shop 4
Shop name: Kate Schorzman
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kateschorzman?ref=seller_info

This last 'box' is a real beauty in walnut wood done in a patchwork design. Unbelievably gorgeous! What artistry!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/82437658/quilted-walnut-cedar-chest

I put a Hope Chest in there at the last because that was the only 'box' I still don't have, and I want one! lol

Next week Friday Faves will be enjoying the beauty of vintage dolls.

Until then, have a great weekend everyone and take care out there!

Just a note to everyone out there: Yesterday when I went to the grocery store there was a man who started asking me about some exotic melon, then wondered if I'd buy it for him so he could try it. After I turned him down (yes, I know I'm horrible) he started in on the guy that was passing by behind me. Exactly the same words: "What do you think this is?" etc. Of course the fruit was clearly marked and we had already ascertained what type of melon it was. I suspect this was some sort of scam and I just wanted to warn you about this just in case you run into something similar. What I think he wants is not the food, but your P.I.N. number when you go to pay for the food for him. Just a heads up.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I love boxes as well! Any kind - and enjoy making them of paper. : ) Love that last box. True artistry.

Lee Lane said...

You make boxes out of paper? Cool! Origami or a different method? I like the Origami and other methods of making them out of paper. There are so many things you can use to make decorative boxes out of, such as corrugated cardboard, card stock, chipboard etc. You can also use boxes that other products come in to make a pattern to make more boxes with, such as a Chinese Take-out box. Then you have a neat way to stow scraps of cloth or other notions for future projects.

Lee Lane said...

O, and, yes, true artistry indeed! LOL I forgot to comment on that because I got caught up in the wonders of box making. ;-)