Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Introducing - What I Believe Wednesday - Pattern


May 14 2014 marks the 30 year anniversary of the best decision I ever made, it's the anniversary of the day I was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'm really excited about this anniversary and I have decided that in honor of this great milestone in my life that I would like to begin sharing with my readers some of what I believe and what impact The Gospel of Jesus Christ has had on my life.

Every Wednesday I will share videos, personal accounts, and whatever else strikes me to celebrate the wonderful light and joy that decision has given to me.

To start this new feature off, I would like to share the following video:

Daily Bread: Pattern
Mormon Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMJ6ZDCAp4

I believe we still need this manna, this spiritual sustenance, and without it we often end up merely taking each day as it comes in a way that is far beneath our potential. During the times in my life when I have allowed myself to be distracted from prayer and other methods of spiritual sustenance, such as when I have felt overwhelmed by the day-to-day happenings of life, nothing has brought back peace and calm to my being the way refocusing my attention upon God has.

I think I might best equate this to a man who is having trouble crossing a footbridge because he has a great fear of heights. Every time he looks down he gets dizzy and has to stop, which makes his progress very slow and tiring. Across the bridge is his patient, loving and kind friend. His friend urges him to keep moving forward. He tells this poor, frightened soul to look only at him and place one foot in front of the other and as long as the man follows his friend's direction he has no problem crossing the bridge, but the very second he places his attention back on the scary height, he becomes paralyzed with fear and can no longer move forward -- not until, of course, he places his focus back upon his friend.

I believe God can and will help us get through any situation we may encounter -- even the most scary ones -- we just have to remember to keep looking towards him and we'll get there, eventually we'll reach our goal, our destination.

This is what I believe.

No comments: