Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What I Believe - Eve

Image Source
This past Saturday I had the great pleasure of watching the September 2014 General Women's Meeting of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The music, the speakers, the whole presentation was absolutely lovely! Then Sunday I decided to re-watch the March 2014 General Women's Meeting and one thing really stood out to me and I knew right then and there what I would like to write about for today's What I Believe blog post. It was when President Henry B. Eyring spoke. He quoted Elder Russell M. Nelson: "We and all mankind are forever blessed because of Eve's great courage and wisdom. By partaking of the fruit first, she did what needed to be done. Adam was wise enough to do likewise."

President Henry B. Eyring went on to quote from The Book of Abraham 5:14: "And the Gods said: Let us make an help meet for the man, for it is not good that the man should be alone, therefore we will form an help meet for him."

President Howard W. Hunter said of the words help meet  in his talk from the October 1994 General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, entitled Being a Righteous Husband and Father : "The Lord intended that the wife be a help meet for man (meet means equal)—that is, a companion equal and necessary in full partnership."

That Eve is so revered in our faith is one of the many reasons I was so drawn to be baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That is not what other faiths taught to me as I was growing up and still searching for the truth. It is not what I heard from popular culture in music, television, and books. All manner of terrible things were told to me about Mother Eve and her daughters. And all along I quietly disagreed with the things that I was being taught and hearing about Eve and my own gender. I didn't feel that I was like any of the things that these people said. None of it made any sense to me. But I wasn't sure where to look to find the things that were in my heart about Eve, the Mother of All Living, until I came to this church.

I would like to invite you to partake of a wholesome and uplifting point of view about Mother Eve and to find answers to other spiritual questions that you may have by taking the time to Meet With The Missionaries. If you click on that link it will take you to a site where you can chat with or set up an appointment to meet with the Missionaries in your area. The site also explains what will happen at such a meeting, so you can be at ease when you meet with them.

Eve was courageous and wise in her choice. She understood that something was missing in her life with Adam, though beautiful and amazing it must have been to be in the Garden of Eden. Her choice was what made it possible for all of us to be here and I am forever grateful.

This is what I believe.

No comments: