Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ten Plus Miles

There's a lot to be said about walking and fitness. I know there are exercises that can get you into shape faster but I think most will agree that walking benefits us in more ways than a sheer struggle for fitness can.

Let me explain, just this past Friday (actually it was around 1 AM, Saturday) a minor emergency requiring my presence arose. It wasn't imperative that I be there immediately, only that I get there. So I set out walking.

You see, I don't own a car at present, so it's either the bus, a taxi or walking. Walking, since it was only a little over five miles away, seemed like the best option at the time. I knew I could get there in a reasonable amount of time and I could take my time coming back.

Now, it's not the biggest deal in the world to walk ten miles. I know this. It's just that even when I do end up walking a long distance in a day -- it's usually not all at once. This was all at one go and I'm just so psyched about that. It's been a long time since I've walked a long distance like that all at one time. My usual is two, maybe, four miles in a day.

But the really awesome thing about this walk was that it was at night, so I got a chance to kind of see the city at night when most everyone was snuggled down in their beds sleeping or watching TV. There is a peacefulness at night in the city that you just can't enjoy during the busy-ness of the daylight hours.

So walking is both beneficial for the body and for the mind and I might even go so far as to say -- the spirit. Because when I was out there like that with what almost seemed like having the city all to myself, well, it just felt so relaxing that by the time I got home I was ready to sack out and dream... dream... dream...

Too, I have noticed that since I've been taking colloidal minerals, especially after my workouts, I have more energy. And that may well explain why just five hours after a ten mile walk and a brief snooze I was ready to get up for my daily two-mile walk. I even ended up getting some yard and house work done.

Now it's Sunday and I'm just relaxing, so I thought I might share my little adventure with all of you. It's something to try the next time you find yourself in a situation where you have to be somewhere -- but not in a hurry -- just put on your comfortable workout clothes and your favorite workout shoes and head on down the road. And, while you're at it -- don't forget to take in the scenery along the way.

Oh, and make sure to get plenty of water and take your vitamins and minerals, too! You'll recover faster from a strenuous workout that way.

Have a Heavenly Sunday!

No comments: